With Mardi Gras right around the corner, we’re bringing you ways to make your at-home celebration New Orleans worthy! In Part 1, we created a DIY Mardi Gras mask, and showed you how to decorate your table with all the festive colors. If you missed it, click here!
In Part 2, we’re brining you the cocktails, which is our favorite part! When thinking about what kind of cocktail to create for Mardi Gras, we decided that Jell-O shots were the way to go. Is there anything more appropriate for bead throwing than a festive Jell-O shot?!
These take a bit of time to make, but are so worth it. Check out the recipe below!
MARDIS GRAS LAYERED JELL-O SHOTS
To make these super fun, Mardi Gras layered Jell-O shots, you will need to get a few supplies from your local grocery store and liquor store. We love the bright colors of these and you can even throw in some edible glitter to make your shots really shine. Please keep in mind that these need to be made at least a day ahead of time, as the three Jell-O flavors need to set individually in order to achieve the picture-perfect layering effect!
YOU WILL NEED
- 1 box of grape Jell-O
- 1 box of lime Jell-O
- 1 box of lemon Jell-O
- Lemon juice
- Lime juice
- Champagne flutes – our personal fave is this travel one!
- Whipped cream (optional for topping!)
STEP 1: PURPLE JELLO
- Boil water
- Mix 1 cup boiling water with grape Jell-O
- Add 1/4 cup lime juice, 1/4 cup Chambord, and 1/2 cup vodka to the Jell-O mixture
- Pour into flutes 1/3 of the way full and refrigerate for 2-4 hours until set
STEP 2: YELLOW JELLO
- Boil water
- Mix 1 cup boiling water with lemon Jell-O
- Add 1/4 cup lemon juice, 1/4 cup limoncello, and 1/2 cup vodka to the Jell-O mixture
- Let Jell-O rest until cooled to room temperature, about 20 minutes
- Pour lemon Jell-O on top of the grape Jell-O until the flute is 2/3 full (we suggest pouring over a spoon to avoid creating any holes in the first layer!)
- Refrigerate 2-4 hours
STEP 3: GREEN JELLO
- Boil water
- Mix 1 cup boiling water with lime Jell-O
- Add 1/4 cup lime juice and 3/4 cup vodka to the Jell-O mixture
- Let rest until cooled to room temperature, about 20 minutes
- Pour lime Jell-O on top of lemon Jell-O and refrigerate 2-4 hours
For extra flare, put a dollop of whipped cream on top of the shots and a dash of sprinkles, or edible glitter. Grab a small spoon to easily scoop out the shot and cheers!
If you host a Mardi Gras party at home, we’d love to see it! Tag us on social media @jollityandco and use hashtag #partywithjollity